Ir al contenido principal

Drug Addict or Regular User? (Day 87)


Who determines the "label" placed upon a human being who uses marijuana (For instance)?

Is there any difference within people's reaction towards one word/concept or another?

How can only one concept create a complete misunderstanding towards another human being?

I once was talking with a friend about the language, words, concepts, etc. and understanding how only ONE WORD/CONCEPT can create an alternate reality or even a "distorted reality" that has nothing to do with the real reality.

Within this post I am not writing against or in favor of drugs/marihuana. I am only using the topic as an example of how we create "our reality" through the words/concepts we speak/express/accept.

So - The one who determines the label whether a person is a "drug addict" or a "regular user" might be a psychologist or any other person that has the Power and Knowledge to apply a survey and then come up with a diagnostic.

It will depend on the questions included within the survey. It will depend on the approach/paradigm they apply. It will depend on the psychologist's cognitive bias.

Now - If you compare the concept of "drug addict" v/s "regular user" it seems that everyone who smokes weed would prefer to be called a "regular user" instead of a "drug addict", because the concept of "drug addict" contains a more "negative" charge and as a consequence, the reaction from society towards a person labeled as a "drug addict" would be "negative" and linked to delinquency and other "negative" stuff existing within the collective imagination. But, the concept of "regular user" seems more related to a person who works, pays his/her taxes, has a family, etc -  More "positive" than the other one (at least to the eyes of moral and society).

Therefore, it is interesting to realize how only one concept or word can build a whole reality/perception, because most people don't question the words/concepts they speak/express. They just take/accept them "by default" and then they understand through inter-subjectivity. In other words, we are conditioned/pre-programmed even within the way we interpret and analyze what surrounds us.

So, when we come to observe a specific phenomenon, we are already starting from a pre-programmed configuration instead of doing it from a clear/neutral starting point.

Do you think that how we understand someone will determine how we interact with that person? - I would say yes.

How do we come to understand someone before meeting them? Through what we think about them.

Do we think through our language? Yes. Therefore, our language is directly related to how we think about other people. So, if we do not deconstruct/re-define our language…will our ability to understand another human being be distorted or accurate?

Self-Forgiveness

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not question/deconstruct the words/concepts that I express and only use them as they come "by default".

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to speak system language without being aware of how that will determine the way I see the world.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to have a distorted understanding about people and the world because of the way I have used the language.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not see, realize and understand that the language is directly linked to the way I think, because I think using the language I speak/express.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to participate in inter-subjetivity as the collective way of interpreting and analyzing the different phenomena that I have come to interact with in this world.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not see, realize and understand that through deconstructing and re-defining the language I speak I can change the way I see and understand the world.

Self-Corrective/Commitment Statements

When and as I see myself interacting with other human beings, I stop and breathe. I see, realize and understand that I am communicating through language, therefore, I have to be aware of the words/concepts I am expressing, because that will build a specific reality within the micro-universe among the people involved in that context.

I commit myself to become more aware of the words/concepts I speak, in order to then be able to deconstruct/re-define new/old words/concepts that are presented to me in my world, so then I can approach that "reality" in a more critical and constructive manner fostering what is best for all instead of supporting the fuck up that has been existing here through the words/concepts we have accepted and allowed to use/express to define/interpret/analyze people/the world/reality.

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Getting Angry with Students (Day 30)

Within my job as a teacher I can remember a few moments in which I took things personal, but they happened during my first year. Now, I am on my third year as a teacher and it's hard for me to get angry with students, because I prefer to address the issue through communication and agreements.
Today, I got angry with a student and I didn't even realize it until another student that was next to me said "teacher, don't get angry".
The scenario went as it follows:
Students were presenting oral reports. Before they start, I take the time to tell the class that they have to be quiet while their classmates are performing, because I have to assess them and if there's too much noise, I can't hear very well.
It was hard to me to keep them completely quiet today - teachers know that not all lessons with the same class work the same due to different factors -. So, I had to constantly stop and say "guys, be quiet. Your classmates are performing". That happened d…

When You See Only What You Want To See (Day 162)

Someone made an observation about me after communicating with them a couple of times. They noticed that I tend to see only what I want to see; meaning, that I understand things in the wrong way.

At first I was within myself like “But, how can that be possible if I try to be objective when I observe or listen to the information being shared?”, until today while watching a video and then, when giving it a second watch, I realized that “Hey, the first time I watched the video I understood something completely different to what I am understanding now”.
So, I asked myself “Why did that happen?” and in self-honesty I can say that I was not fully aware of what I was doing. I was watching the video, but at the same time having a chat and also concerned about a problem I had. 
It’s like for moments I am paying attention, but then I go into my mind. Then, I get back to my body/awareness and I listen to the information and ‘understand what I want to understand’ or what it’s related to what I was t…

Energy-Based Relationships (Day 158)

Today I woke up with this feeling of loss, like I ‘had’ something that I was somehow losing. I realized that it’s energy. It’s the positive energy that I have been unconsciously creating within myself by spending time with X.

The way this came up was as fear; fear of losing, but more specifically, fear of not being ‘loved’ or that everything that X could possibly develop as energy towards myself was decaying. So, in the back of my mind, there was this idea that in order for me to be 'loved'/'liked', I required some energy.
I have realized that this emotional shifts happen when I believe in my thoughts when I am alone or when I judge what X shares with me. These shifts happen very fast and I realize that I activate the pattern but I become aware of it once already being in the emotional reaction.
When this happens, I tend to go “This is not gonna work. They are not feeling the same. They are faking it. This is only a game”, when actually the one that is participating in …